Travel franchises in the UK are among the most successful types of franchises, in addition to technology and financial services franchises. They offer individuals with a passion for customer service and a love for travel to spread their wings and enjoy the rewards that come with working under the umbrella of a well-recognised brand, a proven and successful business model, access to proprietary systems and processes and a whole lot more.
As such, travel franchises are a worthwhile contended for those considering their options in the franchising industry. So, if you want to know how to choose a travel franchise and what the best travel franchise is, according to our recommendations, from among the top travel franchises, keep reading below.
Table of contents:
- How do travel franchises work?
- How much do travel franchises in the UK cost?
- Important considerations before choosing a travel franchise
- How to choose a travel franchise
How do travel franchises work?
Travel franchises typically operate under the same business model and principles as any other franchise in the industry, with, of course, the peculiarities that operating a travel franchise involves. In general, there are two parties involved in a franchise business: the franchisor (corporate brand) and the franchisee.
The franchisor grants the franchisee the ability to utilise its intellectual property, established systems, frameworks and structures and more. This is done in addition to providing the franchisee with training and additional ongoing support to help them make a success of their business. In exchange, the franchisee pays the franchisor an initial fee and ongoing royalty payments for these rights.
A travel franchise operates under the same structure mentioned above, with the peculiarity that it is specifically focused on the travel industry. Despite there being numerous subdivisions of services, the main categories are travel agencies, tour planners, immigration assistance and visa franchises as well as specialty niches (such as cruise franchises and entertainment).
How much do travel franchises in the UK cost?
Apart from the fact that travel franchises are really popular and successful as investment opportunities, they can also be considered low-cost investments.
For example, some of the lowest initial fees you’ll be required to pay go for as little as £2,995 and can go upwards of £13,000.
Of course, it must be kept in mind that every travel franchisor’s business opportunity is unique and comes with different packages for investment.
However, as low-cost franchises, travel franchises can be considered an affordable entry point by aspiring entrepreneurs who seek to start their own businesses with backing and support from an established brand.
Important considerations before choosing a travel franchise
Because of the general success that travel franchises experience, they are an attractive investment opportunity that is worth pursuing.
However, any prospective franchisee needs to be aware of the intricacies of the industry and keep some important considerations in mind before making a final investment decision. These include, but are not limited to:
- The franchisor’s history of success in the industry
- The leadership, management and support team
- The right travel franchise package for your unique needs
- The total amount of the investment (your budget)
- Duration and intensity of the initial training
- The support structure in place
- Marketing and advertising funds, costs, materials and resources
- Your personal characteristics, strengths and weaknesses
- Your short- and long-term business goals and aspirations
- Prior skills, knowledge and experience
- The seasonal nature of the travel industry
How to choose a travel franchise
In the UK, there are various travel franchise options you can choose from. But with what can seem like overwhelming amounts of information, it can be difficult to narrow down your choices.
To help you with this process, below we outline some of the most important steps and questions you should ask when deciding on how to choose a travel franchise. These can be divided into two broad groups: self-analysis and franchise opportunity analysis.
You will need to do some careful introspection when you embark on looking for the right franchise partner. Some questions you may wish to ask yourself include:
- What are my strengths and weaknesses? Are my strengths capable of setting me up for success? How can I work on my weaknesses to help prevent them from sidetracking me?
- What are your interests? Travel franchises are usually run by people with a passion for travel, who have a lust for life and adventure and who seek independence. Do these qualities align with your professional aspirations?
- What skills do you bring to the table? Organisational, sales, customer service, problem-solving, management and marketing skills are some of the required qualities you’ll need to possess.
- Are you aware that as a travel franchisee, you may not have the opportunity to travel as much as you wish? There’s less travel involved than you might think.
- Are you prepared to work in an industry that’s largely seasonal? This means that most of your sales will be done over the summer months and you’ll need to keep funds aside for the quieter winter months.
- Are you looking for a full-time or a part-time commitment?
- What sort of budget can you operate within? Depending on the franchise opportunity selected, you may need to invest in premises, rent, office equipment, etc.
Franchise opportunity analysis
Once you’ve evaluated yourself, it’s now time to turn to the franchise opportunity in question. Think about the following questions to help guide your decision-making process:
- How long has the franchise been established? What is their history in the industry like? Is the brand well-known? What sort of track record does it have?
- What different choices of travel packages will you be offering your customers?
- What training and support will you receive?
- What is the franchise business like in terms of financial performance?
- How much of the ongoing royalties are reinvested in the franchisee network?
- What is the total investment required and is access to financing available?
- What advice and suggestions do existing franchisees offer? Read their reviews and testimonials and speak to them, if possible.
- What franchise packages are on offer? What does each one entail? A thorough comparison is essential as is the need to decide which package will suit your long-term goals best.
Top travel franchises in the UK
*As recommended by Franchise Fame
As one of the fastest-growing travel franchises in the UK, it’s no wonder that The Travel Franchise made it to number one on our list. Take a look at some of the reasons why:
- Minimum investment: £2,995
- Level of experience required: none – individuals from all backgrounds are welcome
- Initial training: starts with an intensive five-day training programme
- Support: this ranges from having your own partnership manager, access to “The Hub”, expert marketers, designers and copywriters as well as legal and financial advisers, access to a franchisee network and more
A home-based travel franchise with over 17 years of experience in the industry, find out more about the GoCruise & Travel franchise below:
- Minimum investment: £10,000
- Level of experience required: beginner to senior
- Initial training: three-week induction course
- Support: a mentor that will be assigned to you for the first 12 months, weekly webinars and business development calls, marketing and administrative support, your own website, and marketing collateral.
A holiday home rental franchise, Hemera Holidays is another home-based franchise opportunity that you might consider.
- Minimum investment: £10,000
- Level of experience required: beginner to senior
- Initial training: extensive induction programme and access to an operations manual
- Support: access to experienced professionals, inclusion on the Hemera Holidays website, promotion through tried and tested marketing methods, day-to-day support, operational advice and regular visits
If you still haven’t made up your mind but you’re interested in travel franchise opportunities, why not take a look at all that we have on offer in our extensive franchise portal?
Find your next franchise opportunity.
Browse our extensive franchising portal and find the perfect business opportunity for you. Pick your choice of industry, location and/or investment.